SUBJECT: JOMO KENYATTA INTERNATIONAL STADIUM, KISUMU
- Ladies and Gentlemen of the press, thank you for being here to discuss this key sports project initiated by His Excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta.
- The Jomo Kenyatta International stadium is part of H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta’s plan to develop and rehabilitate stadia across our beautiful country; in order to nurture and develop the talent of our youth.
- This stadium has been funded fully by the GOK (Ministry of Sports) through the Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund which was set up by H.E the President in 2018.
- For the last six months, my team and I have made numerous visits and recently directed the erection of additional spectator stands which as you see have all been put up.
- I am eternally indebted to our colleagues from the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government and the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing, Urban Development and Public Works who have continuously supported our work. Colleagues from the Ministry of Health have also provided clear guidance on health protocols.
- This new stadium will have a main playing field conforming to international standards, eight lanes running track, spectators’ stands around the stadium, VIP pavilion and a lounge.
- This stadium sits on a 6-acre piece of land which previously hosted the ASK showground. It was renamed Jomo Kenyatta International Stadium.
- To date, construction of the stadium has cost a total of Kshs. 498 million and created thousands of employment opportunities for young people in the Lake Region Economic Bloc and beyond.
- Other additional facilities in this facility will be a basketball court, tennis court, shall host both football and rugby games, a police station, offices, changing rooms, an anti-doping room, restaurant, conference area and a total of 59 washrooms for the convenience of the spectators.
- In addition, we have a parking ground in the stadium enough for 600 cars and in the near future a food court will also be incorporated in various areas in the stadium to provide access to more business opportunities.
Amb. (Dr.) Amina Mohamed, EGH, CAV
Issued at the Jomo Kenyatta International Stadium, Kisumu on 26th May 2021